We have seen in earlier 17 posts that without the implementation of the learned and acquired HSoftware that is good in quality and quantity, one cannot become effective. Just keeping HSoftware housed in one’s own mind is not good enough. You need to put it into practice for becoming effective.
It is also important to understand that no one can learn and master all the good HSoftware and convert it into implementable and proficient competencies and skills in one’s entire life time.
Therefore one will have to choose what kind of specific HSoftware one wishes to pick up and then based on it what kind of competencies and skills one should develop and master.
Since everyone’s aim is to become effective and successful in his personal, family, professional and social spheres and since these spheres will be different for different people, each one will have to literally handpick his own HSoftware. It will be disastrous if one person copies or apes the other person in his matter of choices.
Therefore, each person should adopt the following procedure for acquisition of appropriate HSoftware for himself and for development and mastery of the required skills and competencies:
1. First step is to do an exercise in goal setting and target setting. One should decide what kind of goals he aims to achieve in the various aspects of his personal, family, professional and social life. Ask questions like: what are my destinations, where I want to reach ultimately? Work out your short term, medium term, long term and the life time goals. The zeroed in goals should satisfy the SMART criteria of goal setting (Your goals should be S- specific, M- measurable, A- agreed, R- realistic and T- timed) (You will benefit more in your goal/target setting exercise if you refer this link: http://goal-target-setting.blogspot.com).
2. Then analyze and decide what kind of HSoftware I need to acquire and learn to help me achieve my goals, to help me reach my destinations. I must remember that HSoftware consists of four fundamental elements: values, knowledge, paradigms and will to do. I must decide which values, what all knowledge, what kinds of paradigms and what intensity of internal motivation I must possess to become more effective in steering myself towards my goals, my destinations.
3. Based on this HSoftware, I should develop an inventory of all the competencies and skills I will need to acquire, practice, master and use regularly in order to carry out all the tasks and activities that will be required to start moving towards my objectives, my destinations and finally reaching there.
4. I can do well by appropriately classifying these identified competencies and grouping them together accordingly. The following classifications can be made:
- Behavioral or soft competencies.
- Technical competencies/hard competencies
- Managerial competencies (competencies of getting things done through others)
There could be other alternate ways for classifying competencies as given below:
- Competencies for individual excellence or for managing self.
- Competencies for interpersonal relations.
- Managerial competencies which can be further classified as: 1. Organizational. 2. Role related and 3. People related.
- Functional or technical competencies.
- Information related competencies.
(We are giving here some links that you may like to refer for a comprehensive inventory of soft competencies: (Soft Skills) http://soft-skills-competencies.blogspot.com/, (Life Skills) http://life-skills-competencies.blogspot.com/, (Soft Skills/Competencies: Details of Each Competency) http://soft-competencies-skills.blogspot.com/)
5. Each competency, in turn, will have its levels of proficiencies. They should be identified.
6. Clear explanations of each level of each competency should be written down. These levels are given different labels as per their needs. Some examples are given below:
- In one instance, these proficiency levels for each competency are graded as: oh-oh, so-so, good and great.
- In the other instance they are termed as: baseline, collaborative productivity, ownership, managing complexity and expert.
- In yet another instance simply put them as: level 1, level 2, level 3 and level 4.
7. Then, for each of my goals to be achieved in each sphere of my life (personal, family, professional and social) I should check out if I have identified all the competencies with their required proficiency levels. If need be I will put them in a matrix form. I will call this matrix as my “competency matrix”.
8. Having created competency matrix for my goals, I should examine my current competencies and the expertise levels I have achieved in them. Then I should evaluate them against the desired competencies and their proficiency levels. I will call this process competency mapping. I am mapping my existing competencies against the desired competencies required for achieving my goals. This way I will measure the gaps in the desired and the actual competencies.
9. Once the gaps in competencies and proficiency levels are known, the gap analysis is carried out. The analysis focuses on the further development of my competencies rather than trying to pin me down for my lacunae in competencies. Therefore, I will find out the reasons for the gaps objectively and then I will decide the further course of action to remove these gaps and implement that action plan.
10. I will not bother to look at those skills/competencies which are not appearing in my competency matrix though they may look good or my friends may be good at them. I should not waste my energy and time in picking them up or improving them. If I work on them, I will reach only to a mediocre level from my existing poor level. However, if I concentrate on my competency matrix, I will go from strength to strength and in the same period of time, I will reach the excellence level. So, I should not attempt to become mediocre in the skills/competencies not required by me for my successes but become excellent in all the skills/competencies required by me for my success.
11. I will have to work on this model quite frequently, say once or twice every year of my life. There will be changes in profile of jobs, technology, social activities, family demands, business practices and many other things and that will impact on my competency matrix.
12. I know that I will be able to achieve the excellence in any skill or competency only if I rehearse or practice the learned skill a large number of times. Knowledge alone is no guarantee for achieving great levels in skills or competencies.
I know the fact that only if you start swimming, you will become a swimmer; mere knowledge of swimming or great theories of swimming will not automatically make you even an ordinary swimmer. Knowledge surely helps and is a must but without doing, it is of no use to you. If you wish to become a good teacher, start teaching the subject you know well. If you want to become an actor, start acting. Seek roles in movies or dramas or TV shows and keep refining your acting by doing it and also applying your knowledge in doing it better. If your desire is to become an author, start writing. Write something every day. And use your knowledge to write even better. Doing is what makes you what you wish to become, knowledge alone does not.
Implementation of knowledge is the name of the game. Wisdom is in knowing what to do and how to do but the virtue is doing it.
And then by practicing or doing it again and again you should be able to reach the highest level of proficiency and become “unconsciously competent” (the term we used in the 14th post titled “Levels of Competencies”).
For greater and consistent success in life, you should try to reach the unconsciously competent level in the skills required by you for your professional, personal, family and social activities/tasks/projects.
Related Posts (please read in the following order)
1. HSoftware (Human Beings: Hardware and Software): http://shyam.bhatawdekar.net/index.php/2018/04/02/hsoftware/
2. HSoftware (Evey Human Being Is Unique): http://shyam.bhatawdekar.net/index.php/2018/04/05/hsoftware-every-human-being-is-unique/
3. HSoftware (Why This Uniqueness?): http://shyam.bhatawdekar.net/index.php/2018/04/07/hsoftware-why-this-uniqueness/
4. HSoftware (Uniqueness and Effectiveness): http://shyam.bhatawdekar.net/index.php/2018/04/11/hsoftware-uniqueness-and-effectiveness/
5. HSoftware (Fundamental Constituents of HSoftware): http://shyam.bhatawdekar.net/index.php/2018/04/19/hsoftware-fundamental-constituents-of-hsoftware/
6. HSoftware (More Correct HSoftware Gives Better Effectiveness) http://shyam.bhatawdekar.net/index.php/2018/05/29/hsoftware-more-correct-hsoftware-gives-better-effectiveness/
7. HSoftware (Human Beliefs or Human Value Structure: First Element of HSoftware) http://shyam.bhatawdekar.net/index.php/2018/06/09/hsoftware-human-beliefs-or-human-value-structure-first-element-of-hsoftware/
8. HSoftware (Knowledge and Information Base: Second Element of HSoftware) http://shyam.bhatawdekar.net/index.php/2018/06/15/hsoftware-knowledge-and-information-base-second-element-of-hsoftware/
9. HSoftware (Paradigms, Mindsets or Thinking Patterns: Third Element of HSoftware) http://shyam.bhatawdekar.net/index.php/2018/06/26/hsoftware-paradigms-mindsets-or-thinking-patterns-third-element-of-hsoftware/
10. HSoftware (More on Paradigms and Paradigm Shift) http://shyam.bhatawdekar.net/index.php/2018/07/10/hsoftware-more-on-paradigms-and-paradigm-shift/
11. HSoftware (Willpower to Do: Fourth Element of HSoftware) http://shyam.bhatawdekar.net/index.php/2018/07/26/hsoftware-willpower-to-do-fourth-element-of-hsoftware/
12. HSoftware (Acquisition of the HSoftware) http://shyam.bhatawdekar.net/index.php/2018/08/06/hsoftware-acquisition-of-the-hsoftware/
13. HSoftware (Change for Better): http://shyam.bhatawdekar.net/index.php/2018/08/20/hsoftware-change-for-better/
14. HSoftware (More on Change in Paradigms) http://shyam.bhatawdekar.net/index.php/2018/08/27/hsoftware-more-on-change-in-paradigms/
15. HSoftware (Effectiveness: All about Willpower to Learn; Acquiring Values, Knowledge and Paradigms; Willpower to Do) http://shyam.bhatawdekar.net/index.php/2018/09/08/hsoftware-effectiveness-all-about-willpower-to-learn-acquiring-values-knowledge-and-paradigms-willpower-to-do/
16. HSoftware (Levels of Competencies) http://shyam.bhatawdekar.net/index.php/2018/09/24/hsoftware-levels-of-competencies/
17. HSoftware (Soft Skills- Applied Emotional Intelligence) http://shyam.bhatawdekar.net/index.php/2018/10/22/hsoftware-soft-skills-applied-emotional-intelligence/
18. HSoftware (Competency Matrix: The Procedure for Competency Development and to Become Effective) http://shyam.bhatawdekar.net/index.php/2018/11/08/hsoftware-competency-matrix-the-procedure-for-competency-development-and-to-become-effective/
Get Your Copy of the Book “HSoftware”
Get your copy of the book titled “HSoftware (The Only Key to Higher Effectiveness)” or HSoftware (Shyam Bhatawdekar’s Effectiveness Model) from Amazon online. If you are a kindleunlimited, KOLL or amazonprime subscriber, you can read free.
Books Suggested for Your Professional, Personal and Organizational Libraries (All the titles listed below are available as paperbacks and eBooks online from Amazon- you can read the ebooks absolutely free if you are kindleunlimited, KOLL or Amazon Prime subscribers)
Management, Business, Self-help and Personality Development Books
- HSoftware (Human Software) (The Only Key to Higher Effectiveness)
- Sensitive Stories of Corporate World (Management Case Studies)
- Sensitive Stories of Corporate World (Volume 2) (Management Case Studies)
- Sensitive Stories of Corporate World (Volume 1 & 2 Combined) (Management Case Studies)
- Classic Management Games, Exercises, Energizers and Icebreakers
- Classic Management Games, Exercises, Energizers and Icebreakers (Volume 2)
- Classic Team Building Games, Exercises, Energizers and Icebreakers
- 101 Classic Management Games, Exercises, Energizers and Icebreakers
- Stress? No Way!! (Handbook on Stress Management)
- HSoftware (Shyam Bhatawdekar’s Effectiveness Model)
- Competency Management (Competency Matrix and Competencies)
- Soft Skills You Can’t Do Without (Goal Setting, Time Management, Assertiveness and Anger Management)
- Essentials of Work Study (Method Study and Work Measurement)
- Essentials of Time Management (Taking Control of Your Life)
- Essentials of 5S Housekeeping
- Essentials of Quality Circles
- Essentials of Goal Setting
- Essentials of Anger Management
- Essentials of Assertive Behavior
- Essentials of Performance Management and Performance Appraisal
- Health Essentials (Health Is Wealth)
- Essentials of Effective Communication
- The Romance of Intimacy (How to Enhance Intimacy in a Relationship?)
Novels, Stories, Biographies and Travelogues
- The Peace Crusaders (Novel: how the peace crusaders established permanent peace on a war strewn planet?)
- Love Knows No Bounds (Novel: a refreshingly different love story. Also available with the title “Good People”)
- Funny (and Not So Funny) Short Stories
- Stories Children Will Love (Volume 1: Bhanu-Shanu-Kaju-Biju and Dholu Ram Gadbad Singh)
- My Father (Biography)
- Travelogue: Scandinavia, Russia
- Travelogue: Europe
- सीमाओं के परे: एक अलग प्रेम कहानी