Willpower pertains to willpower (desire, motivation and enthusiasm) to do, act or execute as well as to think, feel and learn. It involves taking actions or taking steps that are responsible for gaining insight into values, knowledge and paradigms as well as for development of competencies and skills. Basically it encompasses action orientation- shedding away laziness and getting on with the job of further learning, sharpening the skills and competencies by repeated practice of the gained knowledge and using those skills and competencies to achieve results and goals.
Internal motivation (or even the internal motivation generated by external motivation) to act is yet another element of “human software” responsible for your effectiveness or ineffectiveness. It is your action orientation. Though actions can be seen being executed but the will to do them, the enthusiasm with which you perform, the internal motivation that propels you to be a doer, are all within your mind. That is why it is your yet another important software (the HSoftware).
One may have all the three elements of software (i.e. values, knowledge and paradigms) and all of these may be effective and absolutely correct. However, despite knowing all, if one does not use them, does not act upon them or implement them, one will not achieve much. Values, knowledge and paradigms without execution are mere delusion. So, one becomes utterly ineffective and has no positive results for himself. The following equations seem to be true:
- Great value, knowledge and paradigm + Zero implementation = No effectiveness, No results, No success
- Some value, knowledge and paradigm + Some implementation = Some effectiveness, Some results, Some success
- Great value, knowledge and paradigm + Great implementation = Great effectiveness, Great results, Great success
You can see here that the implementation or execution is the key factor for being effective and successful. And one can become a great doer only if he has higher inner motivation, the enthusiasm to perform.
Various people are doers of various categories depending upon the extent and quality of their motivation. We are giving below the hierarchy of doers- the description or label given to each type of doer reflects his extent of or intensity of will power (the percent figures by the side indicate as to how much effective they could be if they were in that particular category of doers):
I did 100%
I will 90%
I can 80%
I think I can 70%
I might 60%
I think I might 50%
What is it 40%
I don’t know how 30%
I can’t 20%
I won’t 0% or 10%
The “I did” type is a self-starter person with highest inner motivation. He has highest will power to perform or do and that he achieves with his own sweet will. He does not require prodding or pushing from another person or a compelling situation. “I will” type is a shade lower in effectiveness. In all other types, they will need to be motivated or forced by others. In them the HSoftware called “will power to do” is lacking in various degrees.
Depending on internal motivation to act, people actually start performing because that performance gives some of them meaning in life, to others it is commitment or duty and therefore, they should perform. Some others perform just to get some rewards or praise from others and some are fearful of the consequences if they don’t work. There are a few who also come in the category who rebel, who are angry or frustrated and they quit.
Therefore, in order to be effective and successful in all the spheres of life (personal, professional, family and society), one must improve upon one’s enthusiasm levels and start working.
For improving effectiveness in performance, you need to develop the competencies and skills to higher levels through a “desire-knowledge-practice-habit” model (you may also refer http://shyam-bhatawdekar.blogspot.com). Just to refresh the model of learning the skills and forming a habit of them (mastering the skill) we cite here the model in brief in the next paragraph.
In order to achieve a competency or skill, one has to have the desire to do so. Once the desire or will power is kindled, one needs to acquire the values, knowledge and paradigms relevant to that competency or skill and then keep on practicing or implementing it to become an expert and the master in the skill. So, you must have noticed here that in order to gain the new values, knowledge, paradigms and skills/competencies, the desire to do or execute is a must.
The proficiency in competencies and skills could vary from a very low to very high level. Once you have the right values, right knowledge and right paradigms and you have an internal motivation or enthusiasm to act or do, you pick a set of competencies or skills as required to be successful in personal, professional, family and social life and start doing them again and again. You practice and practice and practice and you do it repeatedly because you have that internal motivation to perform.
You want to excel in your craft because only that is finally useful. But to excel, you have to be damn good at that craft.
A surgeon is surely nervous operating his/her first patient (good thing that the patient does not know this fact). A dancer has to rehearse and rehearse in order to give that perfect shot for the movie. An engineer has to get that rubber washer done 100% correct as it is going to fit in that critical place in that manned space shuttle. A cobbler on the street has to stitch the shoes with precision if he wants to attract more customers so as to earn better daily wages for himself. All this requires great expertise or proficiency in skills and competencies and that comes only through repeated performances which in turn requires will or enthusiasm to act or do.
In essence “will power to do” part of HSoftware is essentially required:
- To acquire and improve the value structure
- To learn and gain knowledge
- To review and improve the paradigms
- To put values, knowledge and paradigms in action i.e. implementing them to develop competencies and skills and to sharpen them regularly
The series of these actions take place due to an enhanced “will to do” HSoftware which in turn gets it’s enhancement from improved value structure, knowledge base and paradigms.
All the four elements of HSoftware are thus interacting with each other one way or the other constantly and in a very complex manner. They keep forming spirals and twisters as mentioned in the post titled HSoftware (Fundamental Constituents of HSoftware): http://shyam.bhatawdekar.net/index.php/2018/04/19/hsoftware-fundamental-constituents-of-hsoftware/
One keeps changing for better and one keeps getting more and more effective only if one is continuously enhancing one’s HSoftware. Those who don’t do it remain static or become retrograde.
Related Posts (please read in the following order)
1. HSoftware (Human Beings: Hardware and Software): http://shyam.bhatawdekar.net/index.php/2018/04/02/hsoftware/
2. HSoftware (Evey Human Being Is Unique): http://shyam.bhatawdekar.net/index.php/2018/04/05/hsoftware-every-human-being-is-unique/
3. HSoftware (Why This Uniqueness?): http://shyam.bhatawdekar.net/index.php/2018/04/07/hsoftware-why-this-uniqueness/
4. HSoftware (Uniqueness and Effectiveness): http://shyam.bhatawdekar.net/index.php/2018/04/11/hsoftware-uniqueness-and-effectiveness/
5. HSoftware (Fundamental Constituents of HSoftware): http://shyam.bhatawdekar.net/index.php/2018/04/19/hsoftware-fundamental-constituents-of-hsoftware/
6. HSoftware (More Correct HSoftware Gives Better Effectiveness) http://shyam.bhatawdekar.net/index.php/2018/05/29/hsoftware-more-correct-hsoftware-gives-better-effectiveness/
7. HSoftware (Human Beliefs or Human Value Structure: First Element of HSoftware) http://shyam.bhatawdekar.net/index.php/2018/06/09/hsoftware-human-beliefs-or-human-value-structure-first-element-of-hsoftware/
8. HSoftware (Knowledge and Information Base: Second Element of HSoftware) http://shyam.bhatawdekar.net/index.php/2018/06/15/hsoftware-knowledge-and-information-base-second-element-of-hsoftware/
9. HSoftware (Paradigms, Mindsets or Thinking Patterns: Third Element of HSoftware) http://shyam.bhatawdekar.net/index.php/2018/06/26/hsoftware-paradigms-mindsets-or-thinking-patterns-third-element-of-hsoftware/
10. HSoftware (More on Paradigms and Paradigm Shift) http://shyam.bhatawdekar.net/index.php/2018/07/10/hsoftware-more-on-paradigms-and-paradigm-shift/
11. HSoftware (Willpower to Do: Fourth Element of HSoftware) http://shyam.bhatawdekar.net/index.php/2018/07/26/hsoftware-willpower-to-do-fourth-element-of-hsoftware/
Get Your Copy of the Book “HSoftware”
Get your copy of the book titled “HSoftware (The Only Key to Higher Effectiveness)” or HSoftware (Shyam Bhatawdekar’s Effectiveness Model) from Amazon online. If you are a kindleunlimited, KOLL or amazonprime subscriber, you can read free.
Books Suggested for Your Professional, Personal and Organizational Libraries (All the titles listed below are available as paperbacks and eBooks online from Amazon- you can read the ebooks absolutely free if you are kindleunlimited, KOLL or Amazon Prime subscribers)
Management, Business, Self-help and Personality Development Books
- HSoftware (Human Software) (The Only Key to Higher Effectiveness)
- Sensitive Stories of Corporate World (Management Case Studies)
- Sensitive Stories of Corporate World (Volume 2) (Management Case Studies)
- Classic Management Games, Exercises, Energizers and Icebreakers
- Classic Management Games, Exercises, Energizers and Icebreakers (Volume 2)
- Classic Team Building Games, Exercises, Energizers and Icebreakers
- 101 Classic Management Games, Exercises, Energizers and Icebreakers
- Stress? No Way!! (Handbook on Stress Management)
- HSoftware (Shyam Bhatawdekar’s Effectiveness Model)
- Competency Management (Competency Matrix and Competencies)
- Soft Skills You Can’t Do Without (Goal Setting, Time Management, Assertiveness and Anger Management)
- Essentials of Work Study (Method Study and Work Measurement)
- Essentials of Time Management (Taking Control of Your Life)
- Essentials of 5S Housekeeping
- Essentials of Quality Circles
- Essentials of Goal Setting
- Essentials of Anger Management
- Essentials of Assertive Behavior
- Essentials of Performance Management and Performance Appraisal
- Health Essentials (Health Is Wealth)
- Essentials of Effective Communication
- The Romance of Intimacy (How to Enhance Intimacy in a Relationship?)
Novels, Stories, Biographies and Travelogues
- The Peace Crusaders (Novel: how the peace crusaders established permanent peace on a war strewn planet?)
- Love Knows No Bounds (Novel: a refreshingly different love story. Also available with the title “Good People”)
- Funny (and Not So Funny) Short Stories
- Stories Children Will Love (Volume 1: Bhanu-Shanu-Kaju-Biju and Dholu Ram Gadbad Singh)
- My Father (Biography)
- Travelogue: Scandinavia, Russia
- Travelogue: Europe
- सीमाओं के परे: एक अलग प्रेम कहानी