We decided to write more on paradigms (mindsets or thinking patterns). We did it for two reasons. First, most people have very hazy and confused idea about “paradigms”. Secondly, it is these very “paradigms” that shape up your day-to-day thinking, action and results.
Therefore, now we give you a detailed run down on “paradigms”.
Science Historian Thomas Kuhn gave this term “paradigm”. He referred the paradigms as the set of practices that define a scientific discipline during a particular period of time- basic assumptions within the ruling theory of science at a particular point in time.
Later on this term became quite popular and now is being used in many disciplines.
In this write-up here, however, we are going to use this term “paradigm” in management, business, professional, personal, social and family spheres.
The word paradigm comes from the Greek word paradeigma.
The dictionary meaning of paradigm is pattern or model.
Basic assumptions made about reality are paradigms. They are consciously or subconsciously held by an individual or group of people or an organization. And to them, these assumptions literally become the reality.
The assumptions which now start looking like reality get fixed or set in the mind of the person who holds them. That is why paradigm is also known as “mindset”.
Once, you have a paradigm or a mindset that you start believing as reality or truth, you are likely to become rigid on it and ordinarily will not like to change or shift from that paradigm. You stop realizing that the paradigm you are holding is really your assumption about what the reality might be. The fact is- you are not necessarily aware of the reality. All you know, the reality might be exactly opposite of your paradigm and you would not even know that. This phenomenon could be dangerous.
So, in a general or common sense, paradigm means a frame of reference through which one sees or views the world.
Therefore, the same world may look entirely differently to different people. As mentioned in the previous post, when asked to give opinion on the female drivers (driving cars), one hears some saying- they make terrible drivers, others saying- they are pretty cautious and yet others saying- they are beautiful. The reality may be something else.
Paradigms are very powerful.
Paradigms can make or mar your personal, professional, family and social life. If they are correct, you come out as a winner, effective and successful. But if they are wrong, they can take you in an entirely opposite direction to turn you into a loser, ineffective and failure.
Paradigms do two things. One: they set the boundaries and give you direction in which to proceed and two: then, you use those boundaries for achieving your success.
So, if the answers or solutions to success exist outside the boundaries set by you and on top of that, you start moving in the wrong direction, you are just not going to move towards your destination (the effectiveness, the success) and reach your destination. Rather, you will move away from it. Your positive thinking, intentions, attitudes, enthusiasm, efficiency etc would not help you much if your paradigms are wrong or mixed up.
Paradigms are thus extremely positively or extremely negatively powerful.
We know a woman who ruined the professional life of her only son because of her wrong paradigm. This woman was staying with her only son in a place where job opportunities were far and few. Her husband died when her son was very young. She had spent in this town some great days with her husband. Also, post her husband’s death, she had brought up her son all by herself in that very town. And she became overly attached to the town. So for her, sticking to the town was very important, it was an emotional affair. Her or her son’s moving out of the town was equal to betrayal of her husband- that was her paradigm. So, she did not want even her son to live away from her in other cities where job opportunities were plenty. She succeeded in emotionally blackmailing her son who despite being capable of getting a well paid job elsewhere stuck to that town with a meager salary doing a low rank clerical job. Professionally he became totally ineffective.
We know a few managers of some well known companies who strongly believe that emotions and feelings have no place in the corporate life. We researched and found that these managers had got stuck at their current hierarchical levels with very little chance of promotion to higher levels mainly because of lack of their people management skills and wanting interpersonal behavior.
Carrying forward the point made in the preceding paragraph, we wish to share with you the decision made by a retiring chairman of a large renowned organization in picking up his successor. The two contenders to the post of chairman were equally good in every respect but one who was more emotionally intelligent of the two was finally selected by him. The more correct paradigm of giving significant weightage to emotional aspects in human dealings gave more effectiveness to the person who got selected as the next chairman of this organization.
Carrying right paradigms in the head is the answer, removing wrong paradigms is the answer, shifting away from wrong paradigms to the right paradigms is the answer.
We give below the very well known opposing paradigms of yesteryears (and how the more correct paradigms changed the world):
- For Ptolemy, the Egyptian astronomer and also for the entire world, once upon a time, the assumption that the earth was the center of the universe was an absolute truth, it was their paradigm. But Copernicus and then, Galileo through the scientific experiments proved that this paradigm was wrong and gave us a new paradigm that earth revolves round the sun.
- Bloodletting was a notorious practice of curing patients from the diseases based on the flawed paradigm that the bad stuff was always in the blood and by removing the bad blood; the sick people would get cured. Now we know that it was an entirely dangerous paradigm and medical science has advanced with more correct paradigms now.
- Centuries old paradigm of monarchy was replaced by democracy (government of the people, by the people and for the people) in a large majority of the nations.
- Switzerland is the well known example of how it lost out the world watch market in early 1980s. By then, it had 80% to 85% share of watch business. However, it plummeted down to less than 10% because of the technological paradigm shift from mechanical watches to electronic quartz watches. You may perhaps be knowing that quartz technology was designed and developed in Swiss laboratories. Yet, the investors and industrialists and CEOs of the Swiss watch companies showed the designers of quartz technology the door when they presented them the new paradigm of quartz technology. Later on, it was displayed in the world watch congress in USA. Texas Instruments of USA and Seiko of Japan took one look at it and rest is history. Why do you think the wise bosses of watch making companies of Switzerland rejected such a wonderful technology? Paradigm, paradigm- their paradigm of mechanical watches.
- Significant medical improvements were made possible with the understanding of the germ theory. Until then the old paradigms of medical treatment prevailed.
- Quality was thought to be very expensive proposition by the manufacturing organizations until Philip Crosby showed that quality does not cost more, in fact it comes free and it saves.
- The Newtonian model of Physics, though still the basis of modern engineering was partial and incomplete. Einstein paradigm, the theory of relativity, revolutionized the scientific world. His theory explained much more.
- Japanese brought about entirely new and diametrically opposite paradigms as against the paradigms on which conventional management systems were based and the whole world felt convinced and learnt to adopt Japanese management systems to its advantage.
When you finish reading the above-mentioned classic examples you would have noticed that the people who were rigid on their existing paradigms had one common sickness which we label as “paradigm paralysis”. What is this paradigm paralysis? We will explain it now.
Large numbers of people are not introspective about their own paradigms that impact thousands of aspects or things of their daily personal, professional, family and social life.
So, once they start believing in a particular paradigm, they cling on to it lifelong. It becomes their permanent mindset. They become too rigid and possessive about it.
As the times change, new paradigms emerge or old paradigms are proved to be wrong or obsolete. Yet, the people with rigid mindsets get stuck with the older paradigms. Galileo was tried in Rome in 1633 to propagate the Copernican theory of sun being the center of the solar system and earth revolving around it as against the old and flawed theory of earth being the center. And it took ages to formally exonerate him in 1979.
This phenomenon of becoming too rigid about a paradigm despite it having been proved wrong and sticking to it is called “paradigm paralysis”. You get paralyzed by that flawed paradigm since now your feelings, thoughts and actions are all being guided by the wrong paradigm. You just cannot be effective and successful even if you are a hard working, sincere and highly efficient person. That will only accelerate your doom.
Therefore, if you do not want to be paralyzed by a wrong paradigm, shift from it to a new and more correct paradigm at the earliest possible opportunity. Look out for a more correct paradigm constantly. Be flexible.
And when the paradigms changes or shifts, everyone goes back to zero.
Refer the example of Swiss watches given earlier in this chapter. How their market domination of around 80% market share plummeted to below 10% due to a paradigm shift of electronic or quartz technology watches from the mechanical watches. The heroes became zeros all of a sudden.
So, when the paradigm shifts, everyone gets back to zero and from there he has to once again pick up with the new paradigm.
Your past experience and success count nothing when the paradigms change. That does not guarantee any success in the future.
So, better change your paradigm and start your journey all over again. Be flexible. Look around for more correct paradigms all the time.
Occasionally you also come across some braver paradigm people than those who change themselves by picking up a new but already existing paradigm. These brave paradigm people are the initiators of new paradigms. They invent and put forth brand new paradigms negating the older paradigms. In due course of time others may follow them. We call such starters of new paradigms the “paradigm pioneers”.
It requires lots of courage and conviction to put forth and follow a new paradigm. With older paradigm, you have already seen its impact and results but since the new paradigm has yet to be tested in practice, you have to have great guts in yourself and great trust in your newly formulated paradigm.
For progress of human societies, it is important to have such paradigm pioneers. Would you like to be one of them? For this, you have to be observant, introspective, action oriented and courageous to break the conventions.
Related Posts (please read in the following order)
- HSoftware (Human Beings: Hardware and Software): http://shyam.bhatawdekar.net/index.php/2018/04/02/hsoftware/
- HSoftware (Evey Human Being Is Unique): http://shyam.bhatawdekar.net/index.php/2018/04/05/hsoftware-every-human-being-is-unique/
- HSoftware (Why This Uniqueness?): http://shyam.bhatawdekar.net/index.php/2018/04/07/hsoftware-why-this-uniqueness/
- HSoftware (Uniqueness and Effectiveness): http://shyam.bhatawdekar.net/index.php/2018/04/11/hsoftware-uniqueness-and-effectiveness/
- HSoftware (Fundamental Constituents of HSoftware): http://shyam.bhatawdekar.net/index.php/2018/04/19/hsoftware-fundamental-constituents-of-hsoftware/
- HSoftware (More Correct HSoftware Gives Better Effectiveness) http://shyam.bhatawdekar.net/index.php/2018/05/29/hsoftware-more-correct-hsoftware-gives-better-effectiveness/
- HSoftware (Human Beliefs or Human Value Structure: First Element of HSoftware) http://shyam.bhatawdekar.net/index.php/2018/06/09/hsoftware-human-beliefs-or-human-value-structure-first-element-of-hsoftware/
- HSoftware (Knowledge and Information Base: Second Element of HSoftware) http://shyam.bhatawdekar.net/index.php/2018/06/15/hsoftware-knowledge-and-information-base-second-element-of-hsoftware/
- HSoftware (Paradigms, Mindsets or Thinking Patterns: Third Element of HSoftware) http://shyam.bhatawdekar.net/index.php/2018/06/26/hsoftware-paradigms-mindsets-or-thinking-patterns-third-element-of-hsoftware/
- HSoftware (More on Paradigms and Paradigm Shift) http://shyam.bhatawdekar.net/index.php/2018/07/10/hsoftware-more-on-paradigms-and-paradigm-shift/
- HSoftware (Willpower to Do: Fourth Element of HSoftware) http://shyam.bhatawdekar.net/index.php/2018/07/26/hsoftware-willpower-to-do-fourth-element-of-hsoftware/
- HSoftware (Acquisition of the HSoftware) http://shyam.bhatawdekar.net/index.php/2018/08/06/hsoftware-acquisition-of-the-hsoftware/
- HSoftware (Change for Better): http://shyam.bhatawdekar.net/index.php/2018/08/20/hsoftware-change-for-better/
- HSoftware (More on Change in Paradigms) http://shyam.bhatawdekar.net/index.php/2018/08/27/hsoftware-more-on-change-in-paradigms/
- HSoftware (Effectiveness: All about Willpower to Learn; Acquiring Values, Knowledge and Paradigms; Willpower to Do) http://shyam.bhatawdekar.net/index.php/2018/09/08/hsoftware-effectiveness-all-about-willpower-to-learn-acquiring-values-knowledge-and-paradigms-willpower-to-do/
- HSoftware (Levels of Competencies) http://shyam.bhatawdekar.net/index.php/2018/09/24/hsoftware-levels-of-competencies/
- HSoftware (Soft Skills- Applied Emotional Intelligence) http://shyam.bhatawdekar.net/index.php/2018/10/22/hsoftware-soft-skills-applied-emotional-intelligence/
- HSoftware (Competency Matrix: The Procedure for Competency Development and to Become Effective) http://shyam.bhatawdekar.net/index.php/2018/11/08/hsoftware-competency-matrix-the-procedure-for-competency-development-and-to-become-effective/
- HSoftware (Putting HSoftware Model to Work for You) http://shyam.bhatawdekar.net/index.php/2018/11/10/hsoftware-putting-hsoftware-model-to-work-for-you/
Get Your Copy of the Book “HSoftware”
Get your copy of the book titled “HSoftware (The Only Key to Higher Effectiveness)” or HSoftware (Shyam Bhatawdekar’s Effectiveness Model) from Amazon online. If you are a kindleunlimited, KOLL or amazonprime subscriber, you can read free.
Books Suggested for Your Professional, Personal and Organizational Libraries (All the titles listed below are available as paperbacks and eBooks online from Amazon- you can read the ebooks absolutely free if you are kindleunlimited, KOLL or Amazon Prime subscribers)
Management, Business, Self-help and Personality Development Books
- HSoftware (Human Software) (The Only Key to Higher Effectiveness)
- Sensitive Stories of Corporate World (Management Case Studies)
- Sensitive Stories of Corporate World (Volume 2) (Management Case Studies)
- Classic Management Games, Exercises, Energizers and Icebreakers
- Classic Management Games, Exercises, Energizers and Icebreakers (Volume 2)
- Classic Team Building Games, Exercises, Energizers and Icebreakers
- 101 Classic Management Games, Exercises, Energizers and Icebreakers
- Stress? No Way!! (Handbook on Stress Management)
- HSoftware (Shyam Bhatawdekar’s Effectiveness Model)
- Competency Management (Competency Matrix and Competencies)
- Soft Skills You Can’t Do Without (Goal Setting, Time Management, Assertiveness and Anger Management)
- Essentials of Work Study (Method Study and Work Measurement)
- Essentials of Time Management (Taking Control of Your Life)
- Essentials of 5S Housekeeping
- Essentials of Quality Circles
- Essentials of Goal Setting
- Essentials of Anger Management
- Essentials of Assertive Behavior
- Essentials of Performance Management and Performance Appraisal
- Health Essentials (Health Is Wealth)
- Essentials of Effective Communication
- The Romance of Intimacy (How to Enhance Intimacy in a Relationship?)
Novels, Stories, Biographies and Travelogues
- The Peace Crusaders (Novel: how the peace crusaders established permanent peace on a war strewn planet?)
- Love Knows No Bounds (Novel: a refreshingly different love story. Also available with the title “Good People”)
- Funny (and Not So Funny) Short Stories
- Stories Children Will Love (Volume 1: Bhanu-Shanu-Kaju-Biju and Dholu Ram Gadbad Singh)
- My Father (Biography)
- Travelogue: Scandinavia, Russia
- Travelogue: Europe
- सीमाओं के परे: एक अलग प्रेम कहानी