Knowledge and information base include rational, emotional and spiritual knowledge and information base related to that knowledge. Here, spiritual knowledge has no relationship with rituals connected with organized religions and gods.
After the value structure, knowledge base or information base of an individual is the next important factor to become more effective. Though they say that ignorance is bliss, the ignorance, at times, may kill people. Suppose a particular person did not know anything about his heart condition, he might indulge in eating and doing things which would be fatal. But the moment he had an electro cardiogram and learnt that he had a heart condition, he would start taking adequate precautions and medication. He would have now improved his chances of leading a longer and healthier life. He would have become more effective.
In a few of the countries in the world, many of the men in anticipation of becoming father start taking up lessons on pregnancy, child birth and child care. It definitely makes them better and more effective husbands and fathers. Their perception towards their wives and children is now far more correct.
We can give some more examples of impact of knowledge on improving the effectiveness, For example, knowledge of sexual aspects of married life makes a happier marriage.
Knowledge of English language among Indians made them a better choice for outsourcing business by English speaking countries, particularly in information technology related areas.
We know of a person who started as a lowly paid clerk in an organization. He was very ambitious but just did not know how to go about fulfilling his ambitions until he consulted with his boss. His open minded great boss filled him with a very important piece of knowledge. The boss said, “If you wish to scale the heights of the hierarchical mountain in a corporate company you must have the right kind of professional qualifications in addition to smart and hard work. You are just a high school pass right now and that’s not adequate to fulfill your ambitions.” That vital piece of knowledge changed the life of this person. He tightened his belt, went on acquiring a good number of formal professional qualifications, worked smart and hard and ultimately retired as a managing director and chairman of a large company.
If one has better knowledge about his profession and its competency and skills requirements, he is better equipped to take further steps to do better in his personal, family, professional and social life.
We can quote many similar cases where a conceptual clarity dawned on the persons via acquisition of deeper knowledge of those concepts. Then they put that knowledge into practice by using their will power to perform (the fourth fundamental element of HSoftware). And they struck gold for themselves.
In one of our workshops on time management for senior level executives, we concluded our workshop with a question for the participants of the workshop that read as: “What couple of things could you do (which you are not doing now or are not doing them seriously) that if you did them persistently, would make a tremendous difference in your personal and professional life?”
A few months later one of the participants of this seminar on time management who was a general manager (manufacturing) in a large company met us and reported, “I was not very happy with what I was doing all along. The shop floor job never suited me. Yet I continued with it. With my intelligence and hard work, it was not difficult for me to succeed even in that kind of shop floor oriented production job that I really detested badly. I got promotions pretty fast but frankly I wasn’t just cut out for it intellectually. Something was seriously missing. Outwardly everything looked fine to me and to others because I was a fast promoted person to the extent that I am one of the youngest general managers in the company. But inwardly, I knew that I was not comfortable.”
He paused and continued again, “And then, I heard your talk on time management and particularly the question you gave us to answer towards the conclusion of the seminar. It haunted me for a few days. I started looking at it and understanding it with lots of seriousness. I started finding its answer and one day it occurred to me that I should switch over to a job that is closer to my heart and mind. I asked myself- what is that? The answer was staring at me; I needed a job which would use my analytical, systems and management skills. Also the job should provide me with better career progression. What was it? I went on playing with many answers and finally zeroed in on ERP (enterprise resource planning) as my new area of action. Once I was clear about it, I hurried up and took a three months evening course on ERP and on one specific ERP package in one of the most reputed institutes. It was an expensive program and yet, I was happy investing the amount. Luckily, my existing company is already going ahead implementing ERP and knowing that I am a qualified ERP professional offered me to head the new ERP department. I have already accepted the offer and started the ERP implementation work in the company. I am really enjoying every minute of my time now. I feel as if it is the start of a new life for me, full of rewards that I like. I sincerely wish to thank you. You and your time management program changed my life. Thanks.”
In our consulting and counseling sessions with the individuals and people in groups, we urge them to introspect and dig into their own knowledge of themselves to find out their hidden potentials that remained untapped as yet. This piece of counseling and consultations is like breaking news to them. They try to search for these hidden and deeply buried talents and finally scoop out some of their untapped hidden skills. And some of them having the will power to use these skills, start using them for some constructive projects in their lives. We always caution them by saying that either use your hidden talents or be prepared to loose them.
We remember one incident of how at times ignorance can create antagonism towards the people who hold the correct knowledge. This incident relates to an overly anxious parent of his seriously ailing child. The child was admitted in the intensive care unit of the hospital that we visited that day to meet one of our acquaintances who was also admitted there for treatment. The child had very high fever and he was being administered by nurses the usual procedure of sponging of the entire body of the patient by cool salt water to bring down the temperature of the body to a safe limit.
The child’s father who had never earlier experienced this sponging procedure and was not even aware of it was aghast to see his seriously sick child being further tortured by the medical staff by applying the cold water dabs all over his already very hot body. He started shouting at the nurses for their callous behavior and ordered them to stop the treatment. He was ready to shift the child to some other hospital where the child won’t have to go through that ordeal.
Now did you see what happens when one has lack of knowledge?
Keeping an open mind is the best way to learn and thus gain more knowledge. One can learn from everywhere- from others, from wife and children, from mother and father, from brothers and sisters, from bosses, colleagues and subordinates, from what is happening around and from authentic literature.
Knowledge is of three types: the rational knowledge (IQ), the emotional knowledge (the emotional intelligence- EQ) and the spiritual knowledge (SQ- nothing to do with organized religions and gods). We dealt with some aspects of rational knowledge in the examples given in earlier paragraphs. Now let us see what the other two types of knowledge mean and what their impact on human effectiveness is.
Let us consider this scenario. You come back home from office and you ask your wife as an everyday ritual, “Darling, how are you?” Every day she says, “I am good” and she means it. Today also she says, “I am good” but she does not mean it, the tone is not the same, there is some frustration in the voice. If you look at her face (which you normally don’t do after several years of marriage), there is some sadness on her face. All this, because early in the day, you rang her and cancelled the planned weekend outing since you had to attend an important meeting in the office on the weekend.
An emotionally un-intelligent husband cannot understand the slight difference in the two “I am good” expressions. And there he loses out some marks in the eyes of the wife. Yet, an emotionally intelligent husband anticipates wife’s disappointment and is prepared to woo her back. He gets extra marks from his wife and possibly, extra rewards. Who is more effective? (You may like to refer: http://emotional-quotient-intelligence.blogspot.com/) Obviously the person with better knowledge about emotions and feelings- better emotional intelligence is more effective.
The third type of intelligence i.e. the spiritual knowledge or spiritual intelligence fills you up with the third dimension of knowledge in addition to the other two dimensions of knowledge viz. rational knowledge and emotional knowledge described earlier.
It is believed that it is through spiritual quotient that we are in a position to solve the issues related with meaning and value in life.
Some examples of the issues related to meaning and value are the constant search of human beings for answers to the fundamental and ultimate questions like: Why was I born? What is the meaning of my life? Does my work give me the satisfaction I need? Do I relate to myself and to the other people well? What way I am contributing to my and others’ happiness? Should I go on even when I am tired or depressed? What makes it all worthwhile?
Answers to such questions lead us to happiness and spiritual intelligence (SQ) helps to answer these questions better than what rational intelligence (IQ) and emotional intelligence (EQ) in their separate capacities are capable of.
All of us know many people who amassed money in their professional lives rolled their wealth to meaningful philanthropy in the later part of their lives mainly due to their subsequent acquisition of an updated HSoftware consisting of the spiritual knowledge.
Knowledge allows you to take the right directions to achieve your objectives and the correction or rework is eliminated or it is less. You don’t waste your efforts, time and other resources. Rational, emotional and spiritual knowledge make your “human software (the HSoftware)” more capable and bug-less or bug free.
Continuous updating of knowledge is the key to improved “human software” and therefore, to the effectiveness and success in all the spheres of life: personal, professional, family and social.
Related Posts (please read in the following order)
- HSoftware (Human Beings: Hardware and Software): http://shyam.bhatawdekar.net/index.php/2018/04/02/hsoftware/
- HSoftware (Evey Human Being Is Unique): http://shyam.bhatawdekar.net/index.php/2018/04/05/hsoftware-every-human-being-is-unique/
- HSoftware (Why This Uniqueness?): http://shyam.bhatawdekar.net/index.php/2018/04/07/hsoftware-why-this-uniqueness/
- HSoftware (Uniqueness and Effectiveness): http://shyam.bhatawdekar.net/index.php/2018/04/11/hsoftware-uniqueness-and-effectiveness/
- HSoftware (Fundamental Constituents of HSoftware): http://shyam.bhatawdekar.net/index.php/2018/04/19/hsoftware-fundamental-constituents-of-hsoftware/
- HSoftware (More Correct HSoftware Gives Better Effectiveness) http://shyam.bhatawdekar.net/index.php/2018/05/29/hsoftware-more-correct-hsoftware-gives-better-effectiveness/
- HSoftware (Human Beliefs or Human Value Structure: First Element of HSoftware) http://shyam.bhatawdekar.net/index.php/2018/06/09/hsoftware-human-beliefs-or-human-value-structure-first-element-of-hsoftware/
- HSoftware (Knowledge and Information Base: Second Element of HSoftware) http://shyam.bhatawdekar.net/index.php/2018/06/15/hsoftware-knowledge-and-information-base-second-element-of-hsoftware/
- HSoftware (Paradigms, Mindsets or Thinking Patterns: Third Element of HSoftware) http://shyam.bhatawdekar.net/index.php/2018/06/26/hsoftware-paradigms-mindsets-or-thinking-patterns-third-element-of-hsoftware/
- HSoftware (More on Paradigms and Paradigm Shift) http://shyam.bhatawdekar.net/index.php/2018/07/10/hsoftware-more-on-paradigms-and-paradigm-shift/
- HSoftware (Willpower to Do: Fourth Element of HSoftware) http://shyam.bhatawdekar.net/index.php/2018/07/26/hsoftware-willpower-to-do-fourth-element-of-hsoftware/
- HSoftware (Acquisition of the HSoftware) http://shyam.bhatawdekar.net/index.php/2018/08/06/hsoftware-acquisition-of-the-hsoftware/
- HSoftware (Change for Better): http://shyam.bhatawdekar.net/index.php/2018/08/20/hsoftware-change-for-better/
- HSoftware (More on Change in Paradigms) http://shyam.bhatawdekar.net/index.php/2018/08/27/hsoftware-more-on-change-in-paradigms/
- HSoftware (Effectiveness: All about Willpower to Learn; Acquiring Values, Knowledge and Paradigms; Willpower to Do) http://shyam.bhatawdekar.net/index.php/2018/09/08/hsoftware-effectiveness-all-about-willpower-to-learn-acquiring-values-knowledge-and-paradigms-willpower-to-do/
- HSoftware (Levels of Competencies) http://shyam.bhatawdekar.net/index.php/2018/09/24/hsoftware-levels-of-competencies/
- HSoftware (Soft Skills- Applied Emotional Intelligence) http://shyam.bhatawdekar.net/index.php/2018/10/22/hsoftware-soft-skills-applied-emotional-intelligence/
- HSoftware (Competency Matrix: The Procedure for Competency Development and to Become Effective) http://shyam.bhatawdekar.net/index.php/2018/11/08/hsoftware-competency-matrix-the-procedure-for-competency-development-and-to-become-effective/
- HSoftware (Putting HSoftware Model to Work for You) http://shyam.bhatawdekar.net/index.php/2018/11/10/hsoftware-putting-hsoftware-model-to-work-for-you/
Get Your Copy of the Book “HSoftware”
Get your copy of the book titled “HSoftware (The Only Key to Higher Effectiveness)” or HSoftware (Shyam Bhatawdekar’s Effectiveness Model) from Amazon online. If you are a kindleunlimited, KOLL or amazonprime subscriber, you can read free.
Books Suggested for Your Professional, Personal and Organizational Libraries (All the titles listed below are available as paperbacks and eBooks online from Amazon- you can read the ebooks absolutely free if you are kindleunlimited, KOLL or Amazon Prime subscribers)
Management, Business, Self-help and Personality Development Books
- HSoftware (Human Software) (The Only Key to Higher Effectiveness)
- Sensitive Stories of Corporate World (Management Case Studies)
- Sensitive Stories of Corporate World (Volume 2) (Management Case Studies)
- Classic Management Games, Exercises, Energizers and Icebreakers
- Classic Management Games, Exercises, Energizers and Icebreakers (Volume 2)
- Classic Team Building Games, Exercises, Energizers and Icebreakers
- 101 Classic Management Games, Exercises, Energizers and Icebreakers
- Stress? No Way!! (Handbook on Stress Management)
- HSoftware (Shyam Bhatawdekar’s Effectiveness Model)
- Competency Management (Competency Matrix and Competencies)
- Soft Skills You Can’t Do Without (Goal Setting, Time Management, Assertiveness and Anger Management)
- Essentials of Work Study (Method Study and Work Measurement)
- Essentials of Time Management (Taking Control of Your Life)
- Essentials of 5S Housekeeping
- Essentials of Quality Circles
- Essentials of Goal Setting
- Essentials of Anger Management
- Essentials of Assertive Behavior
- Essentials of Performance Management and Performance Appraisal
- Health Essentials (Health Is Wealth)
- Essentials of Effective Communication
- The Romance of Intimacy (How to Enhance Intimacy in a Relationship?)
Novels, Stories, Biographies and Travelogues
- The Peace Crusaders (Novel: how the peace crusaders established permanent peace on a war strewn planet?)
- Love Knows No Bounds (Novel: a refreshingly different love story. Also available with the title “Good People”)
- Funny (and Not So Funny) Short Stories
- Stories Children Will Love (Volume 1: Bhanu-Shanu-Kaju-Biju and Dholu Ram Gadbad Singh)
- My Father (Biography)
- Travelogue: Scandinavia, Russia
- Travelogue: Europe
- सीमाओं के परे: एक अलग प्रेम कहानी