Alternate Methods/Techniques of Stress Management
Many people use many alternative techniques to cope up with their stresses and strains.
We are including some of these alternative techniques in our various blog posts, one technique in one post. Though certain methodologies have been suggested for these techniques, you need not have to copy them ditto in any ritualistic way. You can introduce some suitable adjustments in them in order to help them suit your requirements for your own comfort.
The nomenclatures may vary. Yet, some often-used labels have been assigned to these techniques.
In this post we are describing one of such alternate techniques of stress management called “Auto Suggestion”.
Auto Suggestion: An Alternate Technique/Method of Stress Management
You can do it sitting as well as lying down.
- Fix your gaze upon one spot on the ceiling (if you are lying down) or on the opposite wall (if you are sitting in a chair). This spot should be slightly above eye level towards the top of your head, a position that naturally produces tension in the eye muscles, and makes them feel heavy, so that they eventually begin to close.
- Repeat each of the following statements several times in your mind:
– My eyelids are becoming heavier.
– They are heavy and tired and I cannot keep them open.
– I am allowing my eyes to close.
- Now breathe slowly and deeply. Repeat mentally: “each time I breathe out, I am becoming more relaxed”.
- Allow yourself to feel relaxed.
- Pass your attention over each muscle group in turn. As your attention moves over each muscle group, repeat mentally: “my hands are becoming relaxed”.
- Do this in turn for your hands, arms, shoulders, neck, face, head, chest, stomach, back, legs and feet. After you have made each suggestion, move on to the next area of your body. Then, mentally repeat: “each time I breathe out, the feeling of relaxation increases”.
- Do not check to see whether it is happening or not. It will distract you from this exercise. Just accept
that you want it to happen, it will happen and it is already happening.
- When you are comfortably relaxed, take four to five deep breaths. On each cycle of inhalation and exhalation (except for the last cycle) mentally repeat the words “this tension is all….” as you breathe in and “….going away” as you breathe out. On the last cycle, mentally say “this tension has all…..” as you breathe in and “….gone away completely” as you breathe out.
- Now relax and do not move or open your eyes for a few minutes (could be 5 to 8 minutes or more as you wish). You are now lying or sitting eyes closed without any movement.
- To come out from this state, say in your mind “I now wish to return to full awareness. I shall count from one to ten, and as I do so, I shall gradually come back to full awareness”. Then count up from one to ten, gradually open your eyes, suggesting to yourself that you are feeling good in every way, feeling better than ever before.
- Get up slowly and start your other activities.
(Read our book on stress management. Contact our email: email@example.com)
For More Guidance, Assistance, Training and Consultation
Training in all the soft skills and various management functions/techniques is imparted by Prodcons Group’s Mr Shyam Bhatawdekar and/or Dr (Mrs) Kalpana Bhatawdekar, eminent management educationists, management consultants and trainers- par excellence, with distinction of having trained over 150,000 people from around 250 organizations.
Also refer: (Prodcons Group) http://prodcons-group.blogspot.com/, (Training Programs by Prodcons Group) http://training-development-function.blogspot.com/, (Productivity Consultants) http://productivity-consultants.blogspot.com/
Other Topics of Interest: Counseling: General and Psychological
(Anger Management) http://controlling-anger.blogspot.com/
(Children’s Behavior Problems) http://child-behavior-problems.blogspot.com/
(Cholesterol Control) http://controlling-cholesterol.blogspot.com/
(Counseling: Psychological) http://counselingfamily.blogspot.com/
(Counseling: Psychological) http://counseling-family.blogspot.com/
(Cross Cultural Etiquette) http://cross-cultural-etiquette.blogspot.com/
(Do This Today) http://do-this-today.blogspot.com/
(Executive Etiquette and Manners) http://executive-manners.blogspot.com/
(Family Counseling) http://family-harmony.blogspot.com/
(Health: Homeopathy) http://homeopathy-medicines.blogspot.com/
(Life Management: Competencies) http://knol.google.com/k/shyam-bhatawdekar/competency-matrix/6txz9nck6g3/4#
(Life Management: Effectiveness Management: HSoftware) http://knol.google.com/k/shyam-bhatawdekar/management-in-life-profession-family/6txz9nck6g3/3#
(Life management: I Am Liberated) http://knol.google.com/k/shyam-bhatawdekar/i-am-liberated/6txz9nck6g3/6#view
(Marriage Counseling) http://marriage-counsel.blogspot.com/
(Ownership on Job) http://job-ownership.blogspot.com/
(Parental Responsibilities) http://parental-responsibilities.blogspot.com/
(Qualities of Spouse) http://spouse-qualities.blogspot.com/
(Quit Smoking) http://quit-smoking-plan.blogspot.com/
(Self Development) http://managing-self.blogspot.com/
(Spiritual Quotient/Intelligence) http://spiritual-quotient.blogspot.com/
(Stress Management) http://managing-stress-strain.blogspot.com/
(Stress Management) http://management-of-stress.blogspot.com/
(Success in Life or Success) http://success-achievement.blogspot.com/
(Success in Life or Success) http://knol.google.com/k/shyam-bhatawdekar/success-in-life/6txz9nck6g3/14#view
(Swine Flu and Its Prevention) http://swine-flu-precaution.blogspot.com/
(Telephone Etiquette) http://telephone-etiquette.blogspot.com/
(Winners and Losers) http://winners-losers.blogspot.com/