Explanation of the Competency “Motivation”
- Appreciates the need for motivating self and others.
- Believes that by motivating the people they are in a position to give out their best i.e. they try their best to achieve their maximum potential for action, expression, growth, and achievement.
- Gives high degree of emphasis equally on “concern for people” as well as on “accomplishment of tasks”.
- Analyzes the factors that motivate the people.
- Knows that different people are motivated by different factors and their weightages are not the same.
- Therefore, tries to analyze at each individual level what motivates each individual including self.
- Employs formal surveys and informal observations for understanding the motivational needs of the people.
- Is fully conversant with Maslow’s need hierarchy theory, Herzberg’s two-factor theory and other theories of motivation.
- Accordingly, incorporates the required challenges and responsibilities in the jobs of self and other individuals in addition to providing continually improving working relations and conditions.
- Provides appropriate freedom and autonomy on job as per individual’s requirements.
- Helps in structuring and designing the various human resources and other policies of the organization keeping in mind the motivational requirement of its employees.
- Provides adequate and appropriate psychological strokes to the direct reports as well as all the other associates.
- On completion of projects and jobs by teams and individuals, celebrates the success and gives due recognition to them openly.
- Incorporates required combination of motivational factors so that people give their best as individuals as well as the teams.
- Generally respects all the people.
- Is a good listener.
Pitfalls to be Avoided
- May show a very softening or compromising attitude towards the people giving them a wrong impression of being a weak leader.
- May spend disproportionately more time in trying to sort out even those motivational aspects that are of very minor nature or which in fact are imaginary and not real.
- May tend to attribute failure of employees as their lack of motivation even when other factors may be primarily responsible for their failures.
Refer older fifteen posts to read the detailed explanations on competencies “Result Orientation”, “Problem Solving”, “Self Confidence”, “Self Development”, “Action Orientation”, “Creativity”, “Interpersonal Skills”, “Communication Skills”, “Composure or Coolness”, “Decision Making”, “Integrity”, “Team Work and Team Building”, “Developing People”, “Conflict Management”, “Leadership” etc.
For free tutorials on “Train the Trainers” program, refer: http://train-trainers.blogspot.com/
Books Suggested for Your Personal/Professional and Organization’s Libraries (All these books in printed book and eBook formats are available online from Amazon)
Management, Business, Self-help and Personality Development Books
- HSoftware(Human Software) (The Only Key to Higher Effectiveness)
- Sensitive Stories of Corporate World (Management Case Studies)
- Classic Management Games, Exercises, Energizers and Icebreakers
- Classic Management Games, Exercises, Energizers and Icebreakers (Volume 2)
- Classic Team Building Games, Exercises, Energizers and Icebreakers
- 101 Classic Management Games, Exercises, Energizers and Icebreakers
- Stress? No Way!! (Handbook on Stress Management)
- HSoftware(Shyam Bhatawdekar’s Effectiveness Model)
- Competency Management (Competency Matrix and Competencies)
- Soft Skills You Can’t Do Without (Goal Setting, Time Management, Assertiveness and Anger Management)
- Essentials of Work Study (Method Study and Work Measurement)
- Essentials of Time Management (Taking Control of Your Life)
- Essentials of 5S Housekeeping
- Essentials of Quality Circles
- Essentials of Goal Setting
- Essentials of Anger Management
- Essentials of Assertive Behavior
- Essentials of Performance Management & Performance Appraisal
- Health Essentials (Health Is Wealth)
- The Romance of Intimacy (How to Enhance Intimacy in a Relationship?)
Novels, Stories, Biographies and Travelogues
- The Peace Crusaders (Novel: how the peace crusaders established permanent peace on a war strewn planet?)
- Love Knows No Bounds (Novel: a refreshingly different love story. Also available with the title “Good People”)
- Funny (and Not So Funny) Short Stories
- Stories Children Will Love (Volume 1: Bhanu-Shanu-Kaju-Biju and Dholu Ram Gadbad Singh)
- My Father (Biography)
- Travelogue: Scandinavia, Russia
- Travelogue: Europe