(Refer our High Quality Management Encyclopedia “Management Universe” at: http://management-universe.blogspot.com/)
Refer older thirteen posts to read the detailed explanations on competencies “Result Orientation”, “Problem Solving”, “Self Confidence”, “Self Development”, “Action Orientation”, “Creativity”, “Interpersonal Skills”, “Communication Skills”, “Composure or Coolness”, “Decision Making”,
“Integrity”, “Team Work and Team Building” and “Developing People”.
Explanation of the Competency “Conflict Management”
- Recognizes the fact that conflicts are quite natural in any organization and yet these need appropriate redressing to move on with apt solutions.
- Therefore, is willing to take up the responsibility of managing and resolving the conflict.
- He can think through clearly in a conflicting situation.
- In any conflicting situation, he keeps his eyes constantly on the desired goals and therefore, does not drift away from them despite conflicting arguments and points of views.
- Listens well and patiently all the conflicting arguments and presentations.
- Controls the people and their communication patterns in the discussions that takes place when resolving a conflict.
- Facilitates the innovative and creative thinking of the people caught up in the conflict.
- Does not take sides of any particular set of people or their thinking. Rather, tries to facilitate working out genuinely appropriate and optimal solutions.
- Amply demonstrates his positioning as a person with high objectivity in every conflicting situation.
- Most of the times aims at a win-win solution as opposed to win-lose, lose-win or lose-lose solutions or a compromised solution.
- Contributes his own inputs, ideas, creativity and analysis to supplement the missing or erroneous information and thus uncover the real issues and reasons that led to the conflict. Then proceeds to help find the answers.
- Gains agreements without leaving behind any bitter taste or disrupting the human relationships.
- Is proactive and as far as possible anticipates the conflicting situations and dissolves them well before they turn into conflicts.
- Is good at managing various types and complexities of conflicts involving insiders as well as outsiders.
- Is highly skilled in tackling the people who have a knack or habit of becoming unnecessarily difficult and nasty.
- Can use humor or any other intervention to diffuse even highly volatile conflict scenarios.
Pitfalls to be Avoided
- May perceive even the day-to-day routine issues as a conflict and start using his conflict management skills in an elaborate manner.
- Thus may get involved in every situation of small little conflict even the ones that might better get solved by delegation.
- May start contributing with out-of-proportional over-zealousness or intensity and rather than diffusing the conflict, may end up opening up Pandora’s box and thus aggravating the conflict.
- May overemphasize on always realizing a win-win solution where a less than win-win solution may look more suitable as a starter.
For free tutorials on “Train the Trainers” program, refer: http://train-trainers.blogspot.com/