(Refer our High Quality Management Encyclopedia “Management Universe” at: http://management-universe.blogspot.com/)
Refer older twelve posts to read the detailed explanations on competencies “Result Orientation”, “Problem Solving”, “Self Confidence”, “Self Development”, “Action Orientation”, “Creativity”, “Interpersonal Skills”, “Communication Skills”, “Composure or Coolness”, “Decision Making”,
“Integrity”and “Team Work and Team Building”.
Explanation of the Competency “Developing People”
- Genuinely believes in developing people and likes it.
- Does not feel threatened in sharing his knowledge, experience and skills with other people while training/coaching, mentoring and developing the people.
- Uncovers the potentials of the people and their weaknesses and directs his efforts to further boost their strengths, develop them for new competencies/skills and reduce the critical weaknesses.
- Also uncovers the career goals of the people and their specific aptitudes.
- Accordingly, plans his development efforts.
- Assigns those assignments and tasks to people which will help people in development of their competencies and skills.
- Assigns the assignment gradually, from the routines assignments to more complex and challenging assignments.
- Can design and develop necessary class room and on the job training and development modules and sessions.
- Can design and develop necessary training and development material.
- Handholds the beginners and then allows adequate freedom as they start acquiring the necessary knowledge and skills.
- Can design, develop and implement required methods of evaluating the learning performance of the people.
- Periodically measures the progress of development of people and provides them the necessary feedback and further mentoring and coaching.
- Allows enough opportunities for people to apply their creativity and new approaches while they are learning.
- Facilitates accelerated pace of learning as per the needs of organization, business requirements and grasping power of the trainees. Designs and installs new approaches, technology, techniques and tools for achieving it.
- Motivates the people in their learning efforts and helps in building up their general morale.
- Instills in the people the self esteem and self worth as they pick up greater degrees of knowledge, experience and competencies/skills.
- Provides adequate opportunities and circumstances for the direct reports to get more visibility with senior and top management and the executives of the organization who matter.
- Encourages his senior and expert staff to train and develop the other people.
- Methodically pushes the promising people to take up higher responsibilities and thus helps in their development and career advancement within his own department(s) or in outside departments.
- Prepares development budgets carefully to take care of all the immediate, short and long term requirements and convinces the management to seek approval of the budget.
- Perceives the money, time and efforts on developing the people not as expenditure but as investment.
- Keeps a tab on investment on developing people and their actual development.
Pitfalls to be Avoided
- May end up spending disproportionately more time in development aspects of people as compared to achieving the other short and long term requirement of business for which he is accountable.
- May be over optimistic in training and developing each and every person to the hilt.
- May err on developing only selective people who seem to be potential learners and leave out out the others in the team to justify and ensure his developmental achievements.
For free tutorials on “Train the Trainers” program, refer: http://train-trainers.blogspot.com/